Thunder Mountain Camera Club
January 22, 2013 Meeting
Lead by: Ona, President
- Welcome Melanie Morris, who also became a member!
- Total attendance for this meeting: 18
- A big “Thank You” was given to Ona and the organizers of the banquet, which was a great success. The silent auction raised $229.50. A recap of the winners of the People’s Choice awards was given. It was a great competition. Congratulations to all the photographers who placed, and a special congratulations to Sharon Bradshaw, the Photographer of the Year!
Topic: Good deals
- Ona received an e-mail from a woman who has a dark room set up she would like to give to someone. If you’re interested, contact Ona.
- Kathleen knows of someone who has film that he would sell for $.75/roll. It has been frozen.
Topic: Next Meeting – February 26th
- Presenter: Joseph Roybal out of Denver, Colorado – www.josephroybal.com
- Topic: Inspiration/Vision
- Club Competition: Entries are due by February 19th. Judging takes place on Thursday, February 21st, and anyone is welcome to observe the judging. Any member can submit 2 black and whites, 2 color prints and 2 projected images.
- The Southwest Photographer’s Association will join us for this very special presentation.
- Treats will be provided by Donna and Chris. Beverage will be provided by Kathleen.
Topic: Next Education Meeting
- Dawn will see if Steve Traudt will be able to do a presentation on Elements Layers. Date to be determined upon Steve’s availability. Dawn will let club members know.
Topic: Meeting room
- Ona has two possibilities for a new meeting place for TMCC. One is at the American Red Cross, and the other is at the Mesa Mall. Ona will be meeting with them to discuss more specifics, like room size and dates of availability. Ona asked that all club members be on the lookout for possible meeting places, as the club needs to find a new place to meet.
Topic: Photo Exhibit at the Fruita Rec Center
- Fruita Rec Center indicated they would like to have an artist reception for the photographers whose work is on display at the Center. Chris will contact them to set up a date for the reception and will let the club members know.
Topic: April Photo Exhibit at the Frame Depot
- In April, the Frame Depot will be hosting an open house for TMCC photographers. The pictures need to be there the Thursday before the first Saturday in April, and the pictures will hang for the month.
- Club dues are due in January. They are $30 for single, $35 for families and $17.50 for students. As members renew memberships, the club roster will be updated. At the next meeting, a sheet will be provided so that everyone can update their contact information, as well.
- Dawn asked that we try to sign in and to post pictures to the website, and offered to ask Dillon to come to a meeting to do some training on the website. Ona will obtain a login for members as dues are paid.
Topic: Jamie’s new toy
- Jamie did a short demonstration on a new toy. It’s a Neewer LED light, which fits on a hot shoe and sells for approximately $35.00 at Amazon. It comes with three filters – one white, one warm and one pink.
Topic: What will 2013 look like? (Dawn’s presentation)
- For the next meeting, bring ideas about what goals you have for yourself, as a photographer, that the club could help with. What do you want to learn? What do you want to take pictures of? Where do you want to take pictures?
- Ideas for future meetings:
- Each photographer present a 15 (or so) minute presentation to introduce themselves to the club. Let us know what kind of pictures you like to take, how long you’ve been a photographer, what kind of equipment you use, what you’d like to learn, where you like to take photos, and, of course, include some of your favorite photos! We will hear from Donna in March.
- Ideas for future education seminars:
- Off camera lighting – Heather Decker
- Layers in Photoshop – Steve Traudt
- Topaz/Nik presentation – Rod Martinez
- Outdoor portrait workshops
- Each member to bring their camera and lenses so we could have a hands-on look at what a variety of lenses look and feel like (before we spend money on an actual purchase).
- Trick photography, since that is the topic of this year’s competition.
- Ideas for future outings:
- Saturday and Sunday, 1/26 and 1/27, the dog sled races are taking place on the Mesa at the County Line parking lot.
- Colorado National Monument Hike – Visitor Center – Bookcliff view/window rock trail
- Land’s End in July for wildflowers and/or wildlife
- Orchard run – Spring/Fall
- Botanical gardens – GJ or Denver
- Ideas for future photo-walks:
- Maroon Bells in Spring/Fall
- Rife Falls in Spring/Winter (Little Box Canyon)
- Ouray for waterfall features
- E-mail any ideas for photo walks, day trips, seminars or meetings to Dawn. The TMCC website will be used to spread the word about outings.
- Goals for 2013:
- Have an annual photographer’s social to promote an interactive, open environment and encourage new members
- Complete website and make it user friendly and functional
- Increase membership
Topic: Scavenger Hunt for 2013
- Sharon Gizner and Melanie Morris agreed to put together the scavenger hunt for 2013. Usually, the 12 categories are given out in March.
Topic: Moab Photo Symposium
- The Moab Photo Symposium takes place May 2nd through May 5th for 2013. It is a small gathering of talented photographers at all levels. The presentations and workshops are put on by professional photographers. See www.moabphotosymposium for more specific information on the 2013 workshop.
Topic: TMCC Club PSA competition
- Six photographs were selected from club members to participate in the PSA Competition. TMCC finished in the top 3rd of Group C for 2013.
TMCC Officers for 2013
- President – Ona Griffiths
- Vice President – Dawn Morrow
- Treasurer – Sharon Bradshaw
- Secretary – Cheryl Sweers
Banquet Images by Chris Mroz